No fewer than 13 pilgrims of the 156 who travelled to Israel on pilgrimage last year absconded, the Delta Commissioner of the Bureau for Special Duties, Mr. Ernest Ogwezzy has said.
Ogwezzy who spoke in Asaba on Monday said that the pilgrims to the Holy Land, made up of 146 people and 10 officials, were sponsored by the state government.
He assured that the government has put in stringent measures to check future occurrence.
He said: “The state government frowns at pilgrims absconding. We will not tolerate it. It is supposed to be for religious obligation. We have put stringent machinery in motion to ensure that pilgrims sponsored by the state government come back.”